The Camp Counselor in Training (CIT) program is a leadership program designed to offer educational opportunities to past campers aged 15 and 16 wanting to be counselors.
At Hermann Sons Life Camp, we really do believe it is very important for us to grow our own staff and we’d like to invite you to join our program. There is nothing better than to have a camper move up through the ranks to become a counselor or even a future camp director!
This program will emphasize leadership and give Hermann Sons Life junior members the opportunity to demonstrate those skills. We will be teaching you about camper behaviors and group management skills. We will discuss the importance of “being there” for a homesick camper and giving you some tips and tricks to help a camper get the most out of their stay.
We will also be showing you what it means to be a staff member. As a CIT Camper, and as a potential staff member, you will be peeking behind the scenes of what makes the Camp tick. You will be helping in the Dining Hall, you will help set up, break down and run evening activities, you will be observing and participating in daily activities and you might even help in the kitchen.
If you are interested in joining the team at Hermann Sons Life Camp, the directions are listed below.
HOW TO BECOME A CIT-1
- The FIRST STEP on the road to becoming a CIT-1 is to complete the application below. The application is for past Hermann Sons Life campers ages 15 (as of Sept. 1, 2023) who wish to be considered for the first level of the CIT Program. Check the CIT-1 box. The application is below.
- The SECOND STEP will be an interview with the Executive Camp Director. Approximately 150 candidates are expected to interview for the limited availability. Once we have received your application, the Executive Camp Director will email you to schedule an online interview.
- Be sure to request an interview time slot as soon as possible since so many interviews must be coordinated to occur in a short amount of time. For your convenience, the interviews will be scheduled predominantly via Skype, FaceTime or Google Meet/Chat.
- Interviews WILL NOT be conducted after Dec. 31, 2022.
- The THIRD STEP is to get three (not family members) references. This can be teachers, coaches, clergy, etc. You can simply have them go to the following link. The deadline for references is March 1, 2022. Please make sure they list you as the applicant! Letters of recommendation can also be mailed to Camp. Please do not send the same reference in multiple ways. If mailed to Camp, please send to: Hermann Sons Life Camp - CIT Program Admissions, P.O. Box 629, Comfort, TX 78013
- To submit references online, click here
- The FOURTH STEP is where successful applicants will be invited to enroll in the CIT Program in early February.
- Spaces for successful CIT-1s will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The cost of the CIT program is $200/week.
The weeks tentatively allocated for CIT-1s in 2023 are:
- Week 5: July 9 – 15
- Week 6: July 16 – 22
- Week 7: July 23– 29
CIT-1 Camp Week "Leadership"
Sunday - Your Value as a CIT-1; Arrival Day - Greeting the Campers; Expectations for the Week
Monday - Communication (Focus and Listening); Decision Making & Self Esteem; Risk Management (observation); Social Media and Social between RS and HT CITs
Tuesday - Identifying Camper Behavior (homesickness); Age Characteristics at Camp; Line Dancing and Camp Songs with RS & HT CITs; GAME NIGHT
Wednesday - Human Diversity - The changing world we live in! Bullying 1.0
Thursday - History of Hermann Sons Life & Camp; Jobs and their role in the operation of camp! Motivation of the Camp Program; Dinner meeting with the Executive Camp Director; Camp Dance
FRIDAY FUNDAY - Blue and Gold Games; Water Balloon Fight; Evaluations; CIT Nightly Activity
For questions, email Executive Camp Director Ian Brassett