At Hermann Sons Life Camp, we believe it is very important for us to grow our own staff. There is nothing better than to have a camper move up through the ranks to become a counselor or even a future camp director!
The CIT program will emphasize leadership and give Hermann Sons Life junior members (aged 15 and 16) the opportunity to demonstrate those skills. We will be teaching you about camper behaviors and group management skills. We will discuss the importance of being there for a homesick camper and giving you some tips and tricks to help a camper get the most out of their stay.
We will also be showing you what it means to be a staff member. As a CIT Camper, and as a potential staff member, you will be peeking behind the scenes of what makes the Camp tick. You will be helping in the Dining Hall, you will help set up, break down and run evening activities, you will be observing and participating in daily activities and you may well be helping in the kitchen.
COUNSELOR-IN-TRAINING PROCESS FOR 2022
HOW TO BECOME A CIT-1
• The FIRST STEP on the road to becoming a CIT-1 is to complete the application below. The application is for past Hermann Sons Life campers ages 15 (as of Sept. 1, 2022) who wish to be considered for the first level of the CIT Program. Check the CIT-1 box.
• The SECOND STEP will be an interview with the Executive Camp Director. Approximately 150 candidates are expected to interview for the limited availability. Once we have received your application, the Executive Camp Director will email you to schedule an online interview.
o Be sure to request an interview time slot as soon as possible since so many interviews must be coordinated to occur in a short amount of time. For your convenience, the interviews will be scheduled predominantly via Skype, FaceTime or Google Meet/Chat.
o Interviews will not be conducted after Feb. 1, 2022.
• The THIRD STEP is to get three (not family members) references. This can be teachers, coaches, clergy, etc. You can simply have them go to the following link. The deadline for references is March 1, 2022. Please make sure they list you as the applicant! Letters of recommendation can also be mailed to Camp. Please do not send the same reference in multiple ways. If mailed to Camp, please send to: Hermann Sons Life Camp - CIT Program Admissions, P.O. Box 629, Comfort, TX 78013
• To submit references online, click here
• The FOURTH STEP is where successful applicants will be invited to enroll in the CIT Program in early February.
o Spaces for successful CIT-1s will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
o On Dec. 15, 2021, all successful candidates that have completed their interview and references will be able to “reserve their spot” in the session of their choice two months prior to the open enrollment. More details will be given at a later date.
• The cost of the CIT program is $190/week.
The weeks allocated for CIT-1s in 2022 are:
• Week #1: June 12 – June 18
• Week #3: June 26 – July 2
• Week #5: July 10 – July 16
CIT-1 Camp Week "Leadership"
Sunday - Your Value as a CIT-1; Arrival Day - Greeting the Campers; Expectations for the week
Monday - Communication (Focus and Listening); Decision Making & Self Esteem; Risk Management (observation); Social Media and Social between RS and HT CITs
Tuesday - Identifying Camper Behavior (Homesickness); Age characteristics at Camp; Line Dancing and Camp Songs with RS & HT CITs; GAME NIGHT
Wednesday - Human Diversity - The changing world we live in! Bullying 1.0
Thursday - History of Hermann Sons Life & Camp; Jobs and their role in the operation of camp! Motivation of the Camp Program; Dinner meeting with the Executive Camp Director; Camp Dance
FRIDAY FUNDAY - Blue and Gold Games; Water Balloon Fight; Evaluations; CIT Nightly Activity
Please email if you have any questions.
HOW TO BECOME A CIT-2
• The FIRST STEP for a CIT-2 is that they successfully completed the CIT-1 program in 2021. All successful applicants will receive an email in October and again in February.
• The SECOND STEP is to enroll in the CIT Program in early February. Spaces for successful CIT-2s will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
• The cost of the CIT program is $190/week.
The weeks allocated for CIT-2s in 2022 are:
• Week #2: June 19 – June 25
• Week #4: July 3– July 9
• Week #6: July 17 – July 23
CIT-2 Camp Week "Counseling"
SUNDAY - Your Value as a CIT 2; Arrival Day - Greeting the Campers; Expectations & Debriefing
MONDAY - Communication 2.0: Emergency Procedures; Risk Management 2.0; Social Media and Pizza Social between RS & HT CITs
TUESDAY - Group Management Techniques; Line Dancing and Camp Songs with RS & HT CITs; Taking activities to the next level! GAME NIGHT
WEDNESDAY - Active Supervision and the Rule of Two! Health & Safety
THURSDAY - Who will care when I’m not there! What’s Next with Hermann Sons Life Camp? Dinner meeting with the Executive Camp Director
FRIDAY FUNDAY - Blue and Gold Games; Water Balloon Fight; Evaluations; CIT Overnight
Please email me if you have any questions.