Hermann Sons Life Board of Directors
Job Description for Member, Chair of the Board, Vice Chair, and Committee Chair
The Board will support Hermann Sons Life by providing mission-based leadership, strategic governance and organizational and fiduciary oversight.
Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
• Hiring the President and CEO, and serving as a trusted advisor in the development and implementation of the strategic plan.
• Reviewing outcomes and goals, and regularly measuring performance and effectiveness.
• Always be prepared by reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to Board and committee meetings.
• Approving the annual budget, investment, audit and other reports and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
• Approving Officer and Committee appointments.
• Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the President and CEO.
• Contributing to an annual Board self-assessment.
• Identifying and recruiting additional Board Members (through the Governance Committee), as needed.
• Partnering with the President and CEO, and other Board members to ensure that Board resolutions are carried out in conjunction with the Charter and Laws of Hermann Sons Life.
• Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments.
• Contribute to a report to the delegates of the HSL Convention Assembly.
• Representing Hermann Sons Life to members; acting as an ambassador for the organization.
Board Participation Requirements
The following are estimated time requirements for Board members:
Regular Board Meetings
Full-day meetings in San Antonio four times a year (usually Feb., May, Aug., Nov.).
Full-day meetings in San Antonio twice a year preceding the regular Board meeting.
Education and Assessment Meetings
Full-day education or assessment meetings in San Antonio twice a year (Feb., Aug.)
preceding the regular Board meeting or in an online webinar format.
Preparatory Work for Board and Committee Meetings
An estimated 8 hours advance preparation for Board and Committee meetings prior to each meeting.
Board members are given special assignments to represent Hermann Sons Life at lodge functions or other special Hermann Sons Life events four to six times annually.
Total time requirements are approximately 120 hours, over 18 days, annually.
Directors serve a four-year term to end at the next regular HSL Convention Assembly. No person shall be eligible for election to the Board of Directors who has an aggregate of two elected four-year terms as a Hermann Sons Life Board Director.
The maximum compensation package for the Board of Directors shall be approved at every regular Hermann Sons Life Convention Assembly. The compensation amount will be paid on a monthly basis with approved meeting and assignment expenses being reimbursed via submission of a completed expense voucher with receipts.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about the Hermann Sons Life mission and who has a record of leadership.
Directors must have the following qualifications:
• A minimum of 3 years Hermann Sons Life membership, as of the first day of the Hermann Sons Life Convention Assembly.
• Hold at least three of the established core competencies of Board members (to view Core Competencies, click here)
• A commitment to and understanding of Hermann Sons Life, its members and the fraternal system, preferably based on experience
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a passion for improving the lives of members
And should have:
• Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government or the nonprofit sector.
The following individuals are not eligible for Board Director candidacy:
• Current employees of Hermann Sons Life
• Former employees and officers of Hermann Sons Life who have been terminated or are not eligible for rehire
• Residents of the Retirement Home, employees of the Home Office, Retirement Home or Camp
• A person who has an aggregate of two elected four-year terms as a Hermann Sons Life Board Director.
Chair of the Board
The Chair of the Board is responsible for providing leadership to enhance the effectiveness of the Board.
The Chair of the Board shall be elected by convention delegates from elected Board members.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Preside over Board meetings and assist Board members in carrying out their responsibilities
• Develop meeting agendas with the assistance of the other Board Members and the President and CEO
• Act as an ex-officio member of all committees in addition to those on which he/she is a member
• Serve as the key speaker in charge of conducting the meetings during the Hermann Sons Life Convention Assembly.
• All the personal qualifications required of a Board member
• Hold at least five of the established core competencies of Board members
• Proven leadership and professional communication competencies
• Financial aptitude that is considerable, not just literate
• Ability to be impartial and objective, influence without dominating, achieve consensus and build relationships
• Ability to establish a trusted advisor relationship with the President and CEO and other Board members
• Highly respected and approachable
• Confidence, energy and the ability to inspire
• Ability to synthesize multiple viewpoints into a sound decision-making process
• Willingness to put in the extra time to do the job properly
Vice Chair of the Board
The Vice Chair of the Board shall assist the Chair of the Board when requested, preside in the absence of the Chair of the Board and assume the role as Chair of the Board if the position becomes vacated. The Vice Chair of the Board shall be elected by Board members from Board members elected by the delegates.
Board Committee Chairs
Board Directors hold all committee chair positions. Committee Chairs should have greater expertise in the area of the committee they chair. The Committee Chairs’ responsibilities include advance review of agendas and meeting material to ensure meetings are conducted in a productive manner that enhances the Board of Directors’ overall effectiveness. Committee Chairs, in consultation with the Chair of the Board, may engage independent advisors as part of that process.
Board of Directors Application
The application must be completely filled out for acceptance. By emailing the completed application, you are submitting your application as final.
All applications will be subject to the review and approval of a Vetting Committee as defined by the Board of Directors Manual.
The deadline for submittals is 11:59 p.m. on Jan. 31, 2022.
Questions or requests for additional information should be directed to Vice President of Operations and COO Samantha Schulmeier Kelley, who serves as the Board Candidate Liaison, at 800-234-4124, ext. 233.
For Board of Directors Application, click here
To submit the application, fill out the document online and when completed, save and download the document to your computer. Email as an attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please click only once